27 June 2007

I'm NO LONGER undocumented...


Well, I went today to the Mexican Consulate here in Atlanta to pick up my work visa. I now have official status: No inmigrante visitante con actividades lucrativas. I'm not sure how lucrative my activities will be, but hey, what do I know?

It was fun going there--there were about a million people (Mexican, I assume) having picnics, sleeping in their cars, letting their kids pee in the shrubs. I guess they had to wait a long time to get whatever they were getting. Mine was pretty easy. I just had to go one day and fill out a form and pay some money, (and hand over my photos). Then, the next day (today), I went to pick it up my FM-3. I felt sooo Janet Jackson at the velvet rope. The security guard didn't even try to stop me--I just walked right in, and walked right out. I almost wish that I had had some excuse to hang out for awhile, and chat the people up, maybe share a sandwich or take a nap in the car. I would've liked to have been united in the waiting, swap some stories or complaints.

But at least now I have the right to import my household goods, and work for money while I'm in Mexico.

0 comments:

Other blogs and sites of interest