30 August 2007

OMG! I was almost in a telenovela!

It was pretty cool! When I got home one day last week, there was a girl sitting on a stone planter on my corner, wearing an i.d. on around her neck, and surrounded by big, fancy-looking lights. I thought that maybe the Bow Wow Deli was filming a commercial or something. Looking back now, that seems a strange idea (why would they film a commercial for the Bow Wow Deli?), but I really had no clue.

So I went on upstairs, about my business, but then when I looked down from the balcony 30 minutes later, considerably more people had arrived. There was a woman with a gauze bandage across her forehead, getting make-up put on by another woman. Then a lady from the crowd of onlookers asked to take a photo with Gauzehead. Hmmm. This was a clue, right? Something big was going on!

Then, I noticed a shiny red convertible parked on the corner, surrounded by the lights and people with cameras. Is it a new car commercial? I snapped some pictures with my cell phone (can you believe I don't have any other camera?), and sent them to MPM for identification purposes. Of course, he didn't recognize Gauzehead, nor any of the others (director? crew?) that I sent along. They were cell phone pictures after all.

Anyway, I watched Gauzehead and some handsome actor film a scene sitting in the shiny red car, and then my eagle eyes picked out the take-clicker-thing that they were using at the beginning of each take. You know, the thing they snap click just before saying 'Action!' It said "Bellezas Indomables" which, I later learned from MPM, is a sort of second-rate telenovela (which is why he didn't recognize the star. Mind you, he only watches the first-rate novelas!)

But when I say I was almost in it, I was really almost in every take! I was on my balcony, only about 5 feet outside of every shot! After the scene in the car under my living room, they moved around the corner to shoot another scene coming out of the bakery under my bedroom. I was almost in that one, too.

That scene was slightly more interesting....This is how it went: Gauzehead was hiding in the bushes by the sidewalk. Handsome Actor surprises his (wife? baby momma?) coming out of the cake shop. Apparently, he is supposed to be in some big important business-guy meeting, why would he be at the bakery? So-and-so's birthday/anniversary/coming-out party is too important to miss! Family/friends/kids are much more important than running a huge profitable non-specific multi-national corporation.

They walk a few steps, and Gauzehead jumps out of the bushes and surprises them! There are happy greeting kisses all around, but she is obviously disturbed, maybe from the knock she got on the head. She eventually turns the nice conversation into something sinister/scary/deranged, maybe blackmail/extortion/secret-telling and there is lots of fast talking in raised tones.

Then, I got bored with the whole thing, and my feet hurt from standing on my balconies for several hours and multiple takes, so I went in to lie down, and missed the rest. Now, I'm half-heartedly flipping through random channels hoping to see my near-premiere.

0 comments:

Other blogs and sites of interest